Read my latest posts!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Return To AI-55FF

Some of you may remember my post about my Flash Fiction counter.
It has been pointed out that hyphenated words and contractions like "can't" and "don't" should be counted as two words. Not all words with an apostrophe should be counted as two though, as possessives like "America's" would still be a single word.
Originally I figured since no one had made a determination about how those cases should be handled, I would give some flexibility and only count them as a single word, but since there are other Flash Fiction fans and they do count those as two words, I'll comply with that.

Therefore I have altered the AI-55FF gadget and anyone using the one on my page or who has it installed via the Gadget button (the blue plus beside "Google" beneath the one in my footer) gets the updated version.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 8:02:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

uh-oh!

At Friday, July 17, 2009 at 8:57:00 PM EDT, Blogger listen for azure $visitorIP said...

Oh, this is so cool!

At Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 5:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger JR's Thumbprints $visitorIP said...

Sorry, but I tend to disagree with your counter system. I believe contractions and possessives should still be counted as one word. It's simply an economical way of conveying a message. In fact, I'd go as far as to say "wouldn't've" would count as "one".

Here's where I think it's different. Example: He had that I'm-going-to-kill-you look on his face. In this example, the writer is obviously cheating and trying to convey more images or messages at the expense of one word.

Just my thoughts. Still, the gadget is a neat device.

Post a Comment

<< Home