Read my latest posts!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Hey! Your Favicon is gone!

I was informed that "blogger ate our favicons from our address bars. :(" Maybe you noticed it elsewhere. Maybe you came here for the cure.

Well, I've got a cure for the missing favicon blues. It's pretty simple really.

It seems that in Google's code somewhere, they didn't take out anything from any blogs, they put something else in. They are inserting a line thusly:

<link href='http://www.blogger.com/favicon.ico' rel='icon' type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

The thing is they do it after your favicon's link tag. It then overwrites what you wanted. I haven't examined the code too closely, but they are getting it in before the head section ends. Bye-Bye custom favicon.

Here's my cure. I have a second (2nd) head section, after my body section. I merely found my old favicon's link element, then moved it into the second head section, saved the template, and problem solved!

Hey. You left. Glad to see you back, favicon.

Genius! Yeah, don't I wish I were.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 1:05:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

Charles you are a genius!!!

Whatever all that means, it has given results of ingenuity in genuine!

Thank you for bringing them back, my favorite Favicons!

(dare I show finger to the blogger?)

At Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 12:25:00 AM EDT, Blogger Pam $visitorIP said...

i changed by template, then inserted the coding for my favicon in the same place as last time. i only have a favicon on my main blog 'ciara's ramblings and whatnot' though. i'm s-l-o-w-l-y learning this coding stuff. :-/

At Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 8:17:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Mona,
Try to be nice to blogger, they try. They give us our blogs and webpages for free, they make much of the stuff easy, and they have one of the most worker friendly environments in the world.

Ciara,
Good to hear, hang in there, there's lots to learn.

Post a Comment

<< Home