Read my latest posts!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sock Puppets

There is a phenomenon out there in blogger world, of the use of so called "sock puppets." If you are not familiar with the term, along with the original meaning of actually making puppets from socks, is the meaning of using multiple accounts by the same individual, to post comments so that they are perceived as someone else.

There may be several reasons for someone to perform this sort of deception. One would be to proffer an opinion, then to bolster that with "others" agreeing. It has been done. Another reason would be for someone to be mean to someone else, and skate by acting as if nothing has happened, so that they can continue to be perceived as being nicer than they really are.

Some of the other blog providers are capable of tracking the originating IP address of the commenters
, allowing the correlation of multiple IDs to a single source, making the likelihood of those being a single person pretty darned high. Unfortunately, Google's Blogger doesn't provide such an animal yet. So the options are, wait until they do, do nothing, or create our own.

I'm currently researching and working on, trying to create my own. Since Firefox and IE both support JavaScript, its use is almost mandated for the task. That JavaScript can use Java classes makes it a bit easier, but requires the installation of Java. Uhg.

Stay tuned, if I have any luck, I'll get this sorted out. And I'll be willing to share.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 12:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

I've been exposed to sock puppets on various sites, and they can be a total pain. Until Blogger itself provides the requisite tool, the addition of a stat counter to one's site provides IP info.

At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 1:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

I'm trying to avoid having to use stat counters, they can only be used to determine the IP of any particular comment from time-stamping. I'd much rather have the IP with the actual comment.

At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 3:32:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

I know, it would be very helpful if Blogger would implement that.

At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 4:01:00 PM EDT, Blogger snowelf $visitorIP said...

Hi Charles!

I know a lot of message boards can log IP's when you leave a comment so it only makes sense for Blogger to incorporate this eventually. (Kudos to you and your programmer brain!) My question is that since IP's can change so often, it'd be terribly difficult to pinpoint said sock puppet unless the sock puppeteer (how often do you get to use that phrase) commented right away. Regardless, I think it's an awesome idea and I wish you luck!

--snow

At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 4:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger lime $visitorIP said...

i think i' have been fairly fortunate in this regard, at least as far as i can tell. although some of my pals occasionally post with a sock puppet for the sake of humor...but we all know who is doing it....it's the knuckleheads you discuss who are the problem.

thanks for your work here.

At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 12:51:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

that is a wonderful job which you should have done long ago..its a pity...It could have severd a very useful purpose recently!

Anyway, its never too late.. so here we go....VRRRROOOOOMMMMM!

At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 5:11:00 AM EDT, Blogger Peter $visitorIP said...

... and I thought all bloggers were friends!

At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Mona,

I should have done? I think blogger should have done it. They should have done it long ago to help put a stop to the comment spam which requires more space on their servers. They should have done it to prevent the sexual harassment, the political harassment, the intellectual harassment, etc.

peter,
For the most part they are, there are a few, who choose to do things despite the fact that friends are nicer than fiends. Of course, they probably console themselves with the fact that their sock puppets always agree with them.

At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 6:45:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

I am naive! I've never heard of this term or it's use.
I have no stat counter and can't track IP's.
I just try to keep my litter box clean and sleep on the furniture.:)
I do know one thing, there is only one of me and what you see is what you get.lol
tc

At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 7:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

TC,
I myself hadn't heard the term until recently.
Google supposedly has something you can use, but I hesitate to go through that, having to login to see the stats and match them up by the timestamps. I'd rather have it tied directly to the comment though.
You're the first kitty I've known that kept his litter box clean.
The one TC we see is the only one we need. Take care.

At Saturday, June 23, 2007 at 2:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger G-Man $visitorIP said...

Charles.....
Hahahaha...I know!
Good job brother!!

At Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 12:49:00 PM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

Hm, interesting. I hadn't heard of this term before.

Incidentally, I read a post on JohnChow.com once where he suggested posting comments on your own posts in order to increase the comment count and make it seem more popular.

Such tactics would be caught very well with such a feature :)

At Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 1:01:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

NGAC,
Welcome, feel free to comment on whatever strikes your fancy. I'm fairly open when it comes to subject matter. If I get out of line let me know. I'll be over and check your blog, soon.

Post a Comment

<< Home