Read my latest posts!

Monday, June 04, 2007

Lessons Learned From My Digital Pal

I used my PC Saturday night. It worked flawlessly, and as usual, I left it on. I leave my PC on virtually 24/7.

I got up Sunday and played a couple of games of solitaire. I looked and saw that I had email that had come in earlier, one asking me to respond to my Happy Birthday wishers. I went to blogger's comments, and got an error.
I tried refresh, -error. I tried pinging Google, no DNS. I tried logging into my router, couldn't get there even though I use the numeric IP address to get it.
By this point I'm getting perturbed. Go to look at my router, make sure the power is on and it is. I look at the link lights, three connections as usual. Wait, one of them has only two of the three LEDs lit. Try the cable in a couple of the other sockets. Shite, I vacuumed last night, so maybe I pulled the cable loose from one of the connections.
Find my crimper tool look through half a dozen boxes I might have left it in. Not there. Look on the shelf under my PC, there it is. I unplug
both ends of the cable from my PC and router. Stick the end into the tool, squeeze to assure connection. Plug in both ends. Same thing, the PC thinks its connected, one link light out, so I've concluded its one pair of the cable out. Well I haven't been kinking the cable so I don't think the actual wires are broken, just the connector ends aren't making contact.
Time's ticking, I still haven't responded to my friends.
Crap, gotta find my connectors, they're not with the tool as I had them before. Back through the half dozen boxes, there they are.
Back to the PC & router, unplug the two cable ends. Grab my wire cutters, cut off the ends. Grab a razor knife, carefully score the sheath, strip the outer sheath off, grab the end I just removed for the color reference. Straighten the wires and arrange them, white/orange, orange, white/green, blue, white/blue, green, white/brown, brown. Cut the ends off even, insert into the connector, confirm I haven't inadvertently rearranged the wires, insert into crimper tool, and crimp. Pull the other end out so I can work in the light, instead of under the desk with the dust bunnies. Same thing, cut, strip, straighten, arrange, cut, insert, confirm, insert, and crimp. Time's ticking. Plug both ends in.
Darn it! Same thing, two of three LEDs lit. Oh no, its the NIC on my motherboard. Just want to make sure its not the cable, so let me plug in something else instead of the PC. Pull out a brand new NIC card, still has the cellophane wrap on the box.
Pull the PC end of the cable, plug it in. No LEDs lit. It needs power. I don't yet feel like unplugging all the cables from the back of the PC.
Well there's an old hub, Ok. Plug the cable into the hub. No LEDs lit. Crap. Find a power cord to plug in the hub.
Dig through the closet, found one.
Plug it into the hub, then the power recepticle. Power LED is on, no connect LEDs on it are lit. Wait, this would need a crossover cable the way I have it wired. OH, unplug it and plug it into the WAN connector of the hub. Lights, both ends. Crap!, the cable is good, means the PC isn't.
Well, I at least have a good PCI NIC. Unplug the cable and power from the hub. Turn off the PC.
I don't feel like this now, need to eat something. Eat. Procrastinate.
Well, I need to get back up. Just for grins, lets turn on the PC and see if it was something needing to be reset.
Plug in the cable, turn on the PC.
DOH!

Labels:

26 Comments:

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 9:13:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

GOSH! Somewhat similar episode happened with me on your Birthady & I got desperate like !@#$%^&*.I had to put up the post for you & felt just like you " Time is ticking!" I swear!!

& as I have to get my cables from across my roof, I was climbing the two floor of my house up & down several times to check them, & then checked my modem again realised that that only two lights were flicking.
I called up the guy to check it STAT! He picked up the phone to find it dead!. We rushed together to the pole outside on the street. I borrowed a ladder from my neighbor. He checked & found the current till the pair, so we knew that the fault had to be somewhere in the house. Finally he changed the DP & hey presto!

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 9:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Well, I learned my lesson. Next time, even if it looks like a hardware problem, I'll try a reboot. First.

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 9:28:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

BTW, its funny to imagine you climbing around and checking things. I know you must have been in jeans, I just can't imagine you climbing around in a sari. And I can imagine the panic in you, too. Too funny.

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 11:10:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

Ah! sarees I have locked up. I guess I'll have to check up & see if they have laid any eggs!*joking*

But no I was not in jeans, I was in Indian dress called churidar which is like tight pants stitched from cloth which is first stitched diagonally & then cut again to pants and then stitched together again. I always get my clothes tailormade,& made to order hand or machine embroidered!

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 12:42:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Eggs? I don't get it. Is this a language thing that isn't apparent to Americans?
So which is it? Are they pants or is it a dress? I smell a photo opportunity somewhere...
And why would they stitch it up and cut it, only to stitch it together, again? That sounds like double the work. :)

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 12:46:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

I've had stuff like that happen and it usually turns out to be the simplest thing in the chain.
So now I start with the simplest task and work my way up.

Laughing at mona's comments.:)

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 2:19:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

It is a manner of speaking.Like when we have kept something shut away for quite some while & someone reminds us of it he says " where did it go? What is it doing inside? Laying eggs?" They can be worn either way,as pants or a dress, depending upon what you wear them with. And they first stitch it up to make the material lie 'diagonally straight' & then they cut the diagonal material in a straight pants shape. Sometimes they make it long enough so that when you wear it, it gets gathered from calf to ankle like as if you are wearing bangles upto your feet. That is why it is called churidar. 'Churi' is Hindi term for glass bangles here.
& before you ask NO we do not wear bangles around our feet.But we have silver & gold beautifully designed anklets to wear, that are called 'payal'. Personally,I do not wear all this stuff although I had silver ankets weighing Half a Kg, I hated them so, that I gave then to my servant. I find all these things that women wear here, the nose ring, the bangles, the anklets etc. very slavish in essence.
Indian women wear so many sybols on themselves, like the vermilion dot on their foreheads of married women, the vermilion powder called 'sindhoor' [ I think it is lead phosphate or something simialar] . It is terrible to see them so! They say it is compulsory [ my foot!] ...so much to take away their freedom... I can hear Anastasia singing rt now! " you can take away my freedom, but you cant take my love", LOL isn't that ironic that it coincides with what I am saying now? I just realised that!

Ah! & I DO wear jeans if that comforts you! :)

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 2:41:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jess $visitorIP said...

thanks again charles...i know that race shouldn't play a part...but everyone knows it does. i just hope this decision doesn't bite me in my toosh......:) **crossed fingers**

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 2:46:00 PM EDT, Blogger lime $visitorIP said...

doh! dontcha just hate that???

prolly good that i am such a technological dolt so the reboot is my default method of fixing things. lol

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 2:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

Oh, man, don't you hate when that happens? Thank goodness it turned out to be something easy to fix.

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 3:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger Peter $visitorIP said...

It's a real and great pleasure to read your exchange!!!

Yes, net connection is a new source of frustration, but I can see that you basically take it from the good side (although there were some nasty words somewhere) - at least afterwards.

Yes, we all have to take care of some practical problems, not only more philosphical matters like in the preceding post.

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 7:18:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Well now that my amusement has abated about all this...

TC,
You'd think I would too, huh? Call me "Dufus."

Mona,
Thanks for the clarification, and the lessons on Indian clothing, I live such a sheltered life, I guess. And it is comforting to know that jeans are acceptable for a woman there, some of the stuff you tell me just makes me cringe, it seems so oppressive.

jessica,
No problem, I still think of the race thing as an artificial wedge to promote those in power. Good luck with that bitie thingy. ;)

lime,
sometimes it takes someone outside to show us what is wise and what is foolish. I'm a fool.

SJ,
It would have been a lot easier, if I'd have just tried that in the first place, and faster too.

peter,
I hope I didn't offend you with my less frequent and milder than in reality interjections. In my defense, I use them a lot less nowadays and use milder forms, compared to earlier in my life. I think being happier has to do with it. Practical is what I usually shoot for, but this was a bit farcical.

At Monday, June 4, 2007 at 7:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

That is almost ALWAYS the way, Charles. I can't count the number of times that I've learned it's usually the simple thing.:)

At Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 5:20:00 AM EDT, Blogger Peter $visitorIP said...

I thought more about Mona's interjections than yours - and they don't disturb me at all. When I'm alone in my flat and have similar - mostly stupid - problems, you should (not) listen to me!

But, I'm glad to see that you are now happier and swear less!

That made me think again: How happy am I? Is the number of interjections you use a way to measure it?

At Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 2:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

SJ,
Does seem to be so, doesn't it?

peter,
My mistake. I'm that way, too.
I'm happier that I'm happier. Funny how that works...
They may be inversely proportional, then again, your mileage may vary.

At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 12:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger Keshi $visitorIP said...

I prefer cold-booting :) Easy-fix hehehe.


btw I hv alwys had Anonymous losers trying to tell me what to do. It has been happening for more than 2 yrs now and some hv even cloned me...n left abusive comments in my friends' blogs using my ID. Yes I have been thru every kind of harassment by Anony commentors. Usually they all come from Saby's blog and I know Saby is one of them too. They just have no life...thats all.

tnxx for ur help Charles! I have reported them and have tracked the IPs too..they all come from India. im not surprised.


Keshi.

At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 1:09:00 AM EDT, Blogger Keshi $visitorIP said...

And Charles Happy BDay for yday :)

Hugggggggggz!
Keshi.

At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 12:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

keshi,

I feel so stupid about all of what I did, instead of just trying the reboot first, you'd think that I'd know by now.

People should know better than to do stuff like harassing others. Perhaps after losing the privileges offered by Google, they'll learn. Nice is so much better.

And Thank You, my birthday was one of the best in my life.

At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 6:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dan $visitorIP said...

Charles, look at the bright side ... at least no cops were involved!

At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 6:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Dan,

That is indeed a great way to look at it.:D I try to live my life on the right side of the law. The less I see of them, the more likely things are going right. I hope things are going well for your wife and yourself.

At Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 8:00:00 PM EDT, Blogger Keshi $visitorIP said...

Great to hear u had a wonderful bday Charles.

Abt the anony losers...they dun give up on their stupidity...mebbe they r born with it. LOL!

tnxx for everything!
Keshi.

At Thursday, June 7, 2007 at 5:36:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

Charles...

Hugs...

At Thursday, June 7, 2007 at 11:38:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

I often think these little roadtrips we take are tricks our minds play on us or we are working something else out and don't realize it.
Yes that's it, our mind wants to play with us.:)
I've been on many of these believe me.
tc

At Thursday, June 7, 2007 at 1:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

TC,
I agree, and I'm a ball of yarn, and my mind is a room full of kittens.

At Friday, June 8, 2007 at 1:05:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

LOL..& i can imagine those kittens making a mess of it all..tangles & more tangles..& some knots too...

right now I need a pill to clear mine..or would flushing it in the WC be better?

Hugs n smooches

At Friday, June 8, 2007 at 9:29:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

I think it would be better if you took a nap, since you aren't Supergirl. Maybe with that pill depending on what it might be.

Post a Comment

<< Home