Read my latest posts!

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Blogging better

Well, I went to the local library yesterday to return a couple of books and darn it if I didn't end up checking out more books. Since I was a child and my cousins took me to the library and got me a card, I've loved the library system.
One of the books I ran across and had to check out was "Blogging, Genius Strategies for Instant Web Content," by Biz Stone. It's an easy read, I'm already some 60% through it. It is also quite informative; I've learned a bit from it and will learn more before I'm finished, I'm certain. This much reading in about 24 hours, even including my sleepy time. It is entertaining, I think mostly because of his sense of humor and obvious familiarity with the subject. This style writing keeps me interested enough that I don't put the book down for long.
On a slightly different note, I was thinking of my blog's usefulness as a medium to get some of my scripts into the hands of some of the people who might find them interesting or useful. The present problem of posting the code is that I must change the tabs, linefeeds, quotes, et cetera to HTML, a task I find onerous and inconvenient. That's when I got the idea that I have a script presently posted to do base64 encoding and decoding, I could use to actually post the code into my blog.
I could just run the script over the file, paste the results into something like say a comment, mark it up with a little XML, include a button or link in the blog, and pop-up a window that the script in my template would display the code as written in. It would be simple from the reader's perspective, and easy for me to convert. Now for the hardpart, implementation...
It also holds some potential to allow me to include other things like pictures, binaries, et cetera in the blog, although I haven't figured out yet how I could get the browser to display pictures encoded thusly.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 4:12:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

but I thought that each blogging programme had its own picture transfer software that cud be downloaded...like Hello from Piccasa. It is easy to transfer pictures through bloggerbot using this software.I think that the Blogger system we use has that programme.

At Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 6:02:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Hey dizzy,
The thing is that pictures and things other than your templates and and blogs themselves have to be hosted on other servers. What I am thinking is that it should be possible to actually have them in those files, on blogspot's servers. It would mean that if there is a server that readers can reach for blogger, they could get your stuff, even if your ISP say, was down. It would also allow those whose browsers are set not to Load Images for the originating web site only, they could get them anyway. Its still an idea, for now.

At Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 11:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

seems like a wonderful idea...good luck!

Post a Comment

<< Home