Read my latest posts!

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Orson Scott Card - Ender

I've been reading the Ender series of books by Orson Scott Card. The first book, Ender's Game, was lent to me by my buddy, Court. It was excellent. The second book, Speaker for the Dead, and the third, Xenocide, were pretty good reads, but were far from complete stories. They came to conclusions of the immediate conflicts, but left lots of unresolved threads. I read those two in the last week or so.

Updated:8/19/2007
Updated:8/19/2007

I'm enjoying them, but its looking like they are written with the express purpose of selling the next book, rather than for the story. I went to Borders today and bought 3 more in the series. The first book was pretty believable in its premises, but the others are "getting out there." There's a pretty good character introduced, Jane, who is an "artificial intelligence," that looks to be somewhat of a crutch, with far too much depending upon her existence and abilities. Its Sci-fi, so I suppose its to be expected, but its becoming a bit too much. I'm hoping they will return to a more realistic scenario, even if it is Sci-fi. At some point sometimes Sci-fi can turn into pure fantasy, and if I wanted that, I'd be reading about dragons and fairies and Middle-Earth and such. We'll see, I'll let you know when I know more. Meanwhile, I would recommend the first in the series, Ender's Game.

The second book, Speaker for the Dead, and the third, Xenocide, and the forth Children of the Mind, should all be purchased together and read keeping in mind that Children of the Mind is the real ending.

I'm reading Ender's Shadow currently and it is a parallel story to Ender's Game. It's a story about one of the other characters from Ender's Game. I'm in Chapter 9 of 24 Chapters. It promises to be as good if not better than Ender's Game. I'm enjoying it so far.

Updated:8/19/2007
Ender's Shadow was well worth the read. Very well done from another viewpoint, the story parallels Ender's Game, but perhaps exceeds it story-wise. Enjoyable is a word that the memory of reading it brings to mind.

I've also put the Next book in the series, Shadow of the Hegemon behind me, and found it to be better than the Xenocide storyline. I enjoyed it, but again, the original story is broken into two separate books, much as the Xenocide series had been, this time pushing what was to be a 3 book arc into a 4 book arc. I still need to go purchase the remaining books from the Ender series, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I'll update after I know more about them.

On a side note, Card's Afterward (his explanations to the reader, which is something I really like about his books,) he mentions "the Clinton Administration's "immoral decision to launch unprovoked attacks on Afghanistan and the Sudan in the late summer of 1998." I find it interesting that this particular bit was written before 9/11 happened, and wonder if he might like to retract his statement now. The first bombing of the World Trade Center had occurred already, and didn't it lose a whole lot less lives both American and others, than what GWB's pointless action in Iraq cost?

Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

At Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 2:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

the way you put it " too much depending on her" ... guess we must all be artificial intelligence in some 'Janeian' sense :D

every human , however inconspicuous he might appear, has a lot depending upon him/her. I came to know the difference when I lost my father...

The presence of a person, only the presence, whether he does anything or not, can make a huge difference sometimes. Every human has so much energy level, an aura or simply a presence that can be like catalytic process to another being or several beings...

Charles! That link does not work :( HELP!

At Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 2:54:00 PM EDT, Blogger lime $visitorIP said...

i've had this book recommended to me not a few times....maybe i should add ti too my list.

At Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 4:45:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

Yeah! I read Orson Scott Card and like his work a lot.

At Monday, August 20, 2007 at 10:54:00 PM EDT, Blogger snowelf $visitorIP said...

I'm with you, Charles, when it comes to fantasy, anything goes, but I like my sci-fi to be a little more tangible. It can be made up, but it has to feel like it could actually happen at some place and time or else it just doesn't work for me as well.

--snow

At Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 1:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mike Minzes $visitorIP said...

Go get the Bourne books and then get the movies!!

At Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 3:01:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Mike,
Are the Bourne books as awesome as most books are compared to the movies? If that's the case, I'll be reading them. I just hope it doesn't spoil the movies too badly. I still haven't checked out the last two, yet.

At Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 9:52:00 PM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

Charles,

I've only read one book and seen the first and third movies; but from what I've read up on them on Wikipedia and the bits I've seen/ read, it seems the first movie follows the book only loosely. The end is also pretty different.

The next two are apparently 'Bourne' in name only and the stories are almost completely different; only the characters seem to be mostly intact.

So I guess you could read them without worrying about spoiling the films. Actually, if you're like me, you might be slightly put off by the deviations in the story while watching the movies after reading the books! I prefer to read a book and then see it's silver screen version and compare how my imagination holds up against Hollywood :D

At Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:36:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Cool NGAC.
I'm like that, I'd rather read the book first, but I'm sometimes disappointed by the movie afterwards. I feel like if you're going to make the movie under the premise that its from the book, then you need to go by the book. Actually, if Mike hadn't suggested the books, then I'd likely never have known these were books.

At Friday, August 24, 2007 at 8:25:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

I'm busy reading a software manual for recording at the moment..fun stuff.lol
tc

At Friday, August 24, 2007 at 9:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

TC,
I don't know if you are being facetious when you say "fun stuff" or not, but I'm certain that you have the need, otherwise you wouldn't be reading it.
Glad to hear from you, because in my mind, you're the epitome of goodness.

At Friday, August 24, 2007 at 9:07:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

Bourne are cool. I have read them all!

Movies are BAD as compared to books, Just see what they have done to the Da Vinci Code!

At Friday, August 24, 2007 at 9:42:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Mona,
I guess after I finish the three I last bought(I have a couple of pages left of the thought processes that Card went through to write Children of the Mind) I may purchase the Bourne books. There still remains Shadow Puppets, that I haven't yet purchased to complete the series. So 3 more books to read before I start any other series.

Brown is an awesome author. I've read all his books, and am looking forward to his next. I haven't seen the movie, because Tom Hanks does not fit the role in my mind. I've heard good things about it, but not enough to see it yet.

At Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 1:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger Spoony Quine $visitorIP said...

` I'm still reading JRR Tolkien. There's so much I want to read, now that I like reading.
` Maybe this Card fellow is worthy of my next trip to the library!

` BTW, you would never guess what some wackmobiles have been doing to my dead rotten corpse this time - it was worth $100!

At Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 2:16:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

S E E Quine,
Are you saying that you didn't like reading before? I'd for certain recommend Ender's Game. I'm now reading Ender's Shadow, and so far it promises to be as good, perhaps I should do an update on the post.

Huh? $100? I'll try to track down what you're talking about.

At Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 2:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger Spoony Quine $visitorIP said...

` Look no further.

` BEWARE!!!

At Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 2:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger Spoony Quine $visitorIP said...

` Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to say; I'll track that down myself ;)

At Monday, August 27, 2007 at 1:21:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

thanks for stopping by and your words of encouragement.:)
tc

At Friday, August 31, 2007 at 10:20:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

Hope you have a safe and relaxing holiday weekend charles.
See ya later
tc

At Friday, August 31, 2007 at 4:54:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mike Minzes $visitorIP said...

You won MFF!!! I will post your award on the post this weekend.

I better see it in your sidebar of I'm coming to FL to find you!!

At Friday, August 31, 2007 at 7:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mike Minzes $visitorIP said...

Because you took so long to post you award, I tagged you. Come by and see!

At Saturday, September 8, 2007 at 12:52:00 AM EDT, Blogger S. E. E. Quine $visitorIP said...

` Maybe Card will write a new 'Afterward'!

At Saturday, September 8, 2007 at 10:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

Hey Charles, I see you've put up a link to your FeedBurner feed! Yay! But I've been subscribing to your Blogger feed till now, have you turned on feed redirection i.e. pointing your Blogger feed to your FeedBurner feed? Or should I update my feed readers?

Also, I see you've taken down your AdSense ads...how come?

Take care and have a great weekend.

At Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

NGAC,
I used to have a feed, but when I went with the changes brought by the new blogger it lost the link. After your prodding me I finally went ahead and added one from FeedBurner, and followed their instructions, which if memory serves me correctly, did involve setting redirection.

My AdSense is still there, as is the Amazon ad. I just checked with IE, so its not a browser issue.

Take care of youself, too Bud.

At Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 11:53:00 AM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

Ok, this is wierd...it seems it is a browser issue! I can see them in IE but not in Firefox ( 1.5, I know, I should upgrade ). And it's not just your blog, I checked out a couple blogs that I know have these ads.

And it's both, the AdSense and the Amazon ads that are missing so it's not a Google problem. I'll check with other browsers from work tomorrow.

At Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 3:18:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

NGAC,
Perhaps its AdBlock or AdBlock Plus? Seems unlikely that FF would suddenly have a problem, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone decided to block those because they are ads.

At Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 3:52:00 PM EDT, Blogger Rick Rockhill $visitorIP said...

I love reading books. this series is excellent, exactly the stuff I enjoy most too

At Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 4:36:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

PSSavant,
I am very partial to Sci-fi myself. I'd recommend these books if you enjoy the genre, but some other reviews give the impression that his is a mystery style and I know of at least one mystery fan (SJ) both familiar with and who enjoys his work, although I'm not certain if this was the series she read.

Post a Comment

<< Home