Read my latest posts!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Life In The Fastlane

Our lives can be compared to cars. Some people live their lives as luxury cars, with plush interiors, high end stereos, gas guzzling engines, and a chronic disregard for anything smaller on the road. We've all had the huge car pull out right in front of us causing us to screech our tires in an effort to avoid being the "cause of an accident."

Some people live their lives as an economy car, small, cheap radio, enough power to get there, sipping gas as if we had to pay for it (we do, through the nose lately.) Economy cars perform their intended purpose, that is they go from point A to point B, with whatever is packed into them, with a minimum of flash.

Some people live their lives like Rally race cars, accelerating and decelerating quickly, sliding around corners, and taking bumps and jumps with aplomb. The driver doing his part, and the navigator doing what navigators do best.

Some people live their lives like a NASCAR racer. Going very fast, going around in circles. Crashing into one another, sometimes coming out of it, sometimes unable to finish the race. Racing different tracks, but always just going around in circles.

Some are like F1 racers, very fast, very nimble, keeping low and using every bit of information available to an optimum advantage. Every bit of the car with a purpose, some serving multiple purposes. The ultimate race car.

Cars are constructed with a given purpose in mind from the very conception. They've got us as humans there.
Most of us are born, with pretty much the same equipment, with some minor variations. Some of us have powerful engines, some the ability to go a long way with little fuel. Some are suited to play basketball, some are best utilized as gymnasts. We're pretty much general purpose machines, but there are those fields of endeavor for which all the little differences in us make us better suited.

You wouldn't put an F1 racer in a rally, and you wouldn't put a NASCAR on a grocery run. If disaster didn't immediately ensue, its unlikely the you'd come away with
your groceries intact or a prize. So its important to consider the race or task, and put the proper car to use. From the other side, its important to consider the racer, and choose the proper race. Drivers, start your engines.


Labels:

16 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 9:44:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

Uh oh! & what about a road roller? I guess it is like lugging ones load around..

& a garbage truck...lugging one's dirt around...
:-D

I have always believed too that cars are modled on humans.Specially the two big eyes & the grin in front :)

Congratulation on winning the schmooze award!

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 9:45:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

I see that you have graduated from the final parenthesis to the final post (?)

O Lord! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 10:13:00 AM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

Hey Charles, how come this new post's date is before WMD? Are you publishing retroactively now? :D

I like the way your words cause the reader to instantly conjure up a mental picture; the mark of a good writer, eh? I had especially enjoyed The Fabric Of Reality.

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 10:24:00 AM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

I've just realized why this one came in after the WMD post! That post is dated Jan 2009!

Unless of course, you wanted it that way, so it would be at the top till 2009?

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 11:12:00 AM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

Mona,
hehehe. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

NGAC,
Thanks, I thought it was one of my more "fitting" posts (pun intended.)

The WMD post is dated to coincide with the last day in office of GWB.

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 12:46:00 PM EDT, Blogger snowelf $visitorIP said...

LOL!! I think I'm a reburfished car from a demolition derby!! HAHAHAHA!!!

This post is awesome Charles, I love it sooo much!!

--snow

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 1:57:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

The fabric of reality is my favourite post too. I must have read it at least twenty times! I just love that one!!

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 10:03:00 PM EDT, Blogger lime $visitorIP said...

i dunno but i am thinking i have a racecar engine in the body of a yugo but i'd really be thrilled just to be a nice long lasting depepndable toyota.

At Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 10:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger Little Wing $visitorIP said...

Charles, congrats on winning Top Mans award.
You are an excellent writer, I can't believe Top Cat placed me in such company!

At Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 1:08:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

Snow...I guess then you are barely put together..LOL...!!

No wonder you are so 'multicolored'!! :-D

At Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 7:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

I love the car analogy! I think I'm most likely an economy car -- small and compact, not needing a lot of fuel to get from point A to point B. I do what I need to do and don't need to be the fastest, flashiest car on the track. I kind of get the job done without all the bells and whistles, with a minimum of fanfare. That suits me, I think.

At Friday, July 20, 2007 at 11:45:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous $visitorIP said...

I think my car's in the shop right now but it'll be better when it's had time to sit for awhile.
tc

At Friday, July 20, 2007 at 12:02:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

TC,
Tune-ups and maintenance are a good thing, they help keep things running smoothly and head off problems. You're a good man (cat?).

At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 1:27:00 PM EDT, Blogger CS $visitorIP said...

Can I go with a small, fuel-efficient, but somewhat sporty car? Living frugally, with some degree of respect for others, but also enjoying a good ride.

At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 3:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles $visitorIP said...

CS,
You are what you are, and you can be what you want to be.

At Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 3:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Spoony Quine $visitorIP said...

Visitor P said:

LOL!! I think I'm a reburfished car from a demolition derby!! HAHAHAHA!!!

` OMG, me too!

Post a Comment

<< Home