Read my latest posts!

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

BuddyTV.com Quiz and GreaseMonkey

This last weekend I discovered a site, BuddyTV. I stumbled into the quiz quite by accident , and got a little curious about how they were determining which answers were correct, so I looked at the page source. It was a case of the correct answer being marked with an attribute/value pair, "correct='true'." OK, that makes it possible to see the right answer every time. Problem was that there's a timer that by the time you look, the point value drops to like a tenth of the maximum points.

Well, GreaseMonkey to the rescue! GreaseMonkey is a plug-in for FireFox that allows you to script your browser to do a lot of things that you might want to do for selected (or all) pages. A couple of hours of dinking with it and I had a script that gets the answer and runs the code on the correct answer's onclick event. Voila! My browser runs the code, the code reloads a new question, which kicks the script again, and I can walk away while the points climb. I'm already in the top 100 (59 at the moment)and climbing amongst the 8 thousand plus. I have along way to go , #1 has over 6 million points, I only have some 240 thousand.

If you want in on it, the script is available on at my scripting site, and GreaseMonkey can be downloaded from the link above.



3 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 8:40:00 AM EST, Blogger lime $visitorIP said...

i have no idea what any of that means but you do and you're happy so it's all good.

At Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 12:19:00 PM EST, Blogger NYD $visitorIP said...

I like this! It reminds me of when James T. Kirk specifically managed to "beat" the Kobiyashi Maru.
Kudos to anyone who can cut through the Gordion knot.

Hip, hip, hooray!!!!

At Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 6:00:00 PM EST, Blogger Spoony Quine $visitorIP said...

` Go number 59! (Or is it higher now?)

Post a Comment

<< Home