Read my latest posts!

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Empty Nest

Although my daughter has been grown for a number of years, we've been in the same locality. Today that changes, when she moves to New York City. I'm full of conflicts over this. I know she has her own life to live, her own dreams, and an intelligence and drive to succeed at whatever she wants to do. On the other hand, I resisted moving from here so that I could be close enough that if anything happened, I could be there within minutes. I love my daughter, I want the best for her, I want her safe, I want to protect her the best I can. I just hope that the things I taught her about defending herself were enough.

I thought of myself as a daddy for so long, it took some getting used to not thinking of myself purely in those terms. I still can't help but to think that she will always be my child, even though she's no child at all. Heck, she's older than I was when her mom and I split up. It still brings tears to my eyes thinking about her leaving though. I guess that was an advantage my dad had by not getting close to me, I'm sure it didn't bother him when I moved to another state a thousand miles away (literally.)

I'm going to be worrying about and missing my little girl. I wish her the best, she has my blessings. I know she'll be doing her best, she has always striven to.

Meanwhile, life won't be the same without her.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At Monday, June 2, 2008 at 11:13:00 AM EDT, Blogger Pam $visitorIP said...

awwww...i think no matter how old they get or how far they move, they will always be our babies. only natural for us parents to worry. isn't that what we do best? :) i think life is never the same when your babies leave home...whether down the street or another country.

At Monday, June 2, 2008 at 7:12:00 PM EDT, Blogger Serena $visitorIP said...

I think it doesn't matter how old they are -- an empty nest is still an empty nest. When they're 50 and we're in rest homes, they're still our babies. Just try not to worry too much. I'm sure you've taught her well.

BTW, I heard it through the grapevine that it's your birthday, so permit me to say -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

At Monday, June 2, 2008 at 10:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

I am feeling exactly the same these days, as my son will be leaving for his college this year...

At Tuesday, June 3, 2008 at 10:19:00 AM EDT, Blogger lime $visitorIP said...

they are always our babies. it can't be easy.

a belated happy birthday to you as well.

At Tuesday, June 3, 2008 at 11:03:00 AM EDT, Blogger NYD $visitorIP said...

Word is out that you've had a birthday. Well, have a happy and heathy one.

As for yer kid. Not to worry I'm from NY and I can tell ya the folks there are just like me. She'll be fine. I'm sure that has reduced your worries, ya?


Seriously, it's a dad's job to fret. You'd do it no matter where she was.

At Tuesday, June 3, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM EDT, Blogger no.good.at.coding $visitorIP said...

Aw, that sucks! But hopefully your new job will help take some of the edge of the loneliness. It's not much but at least you can engage in something.

Also, I always tell myself that I'm glad I live live in such a wonderful age where there so many options to keep in touch; again, not the same as actually being there but so much better than it was before!

At Tuesday, June 3, 2008 at 7:55:00 PM EDT, Blogger snowelf $visitorIP said...

I keep talking about moving away and it really upsets my parents, so I can totally see your side.

(((charles)))

Thank goodness for all the technology--people feel a lot closer now even when they are far away.

I do wish her the best and I know you'll be missing your grown up girl.

--snow

At Thursday, June 5, 2008 at 8:45:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mona $visitorIP said...

(((HUGS)))
She will be just fine I assure you. Even better than she has been before.

I have been to New York. It is awesome! I walked alone on the streets and the avenues ALONE for continuous nine hours till 2 in the morning & still felt absolutely safe. I used to sit each night by the river Hudson & watch the rich & the famous partying on their cruises.

I am sure she will love being there & she seems perfectly capable of taking care of herself!

Post a Comment

<< Home